Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Little Gidding T.S Eliot


I just finished reading this poem for the second time. I have a fair amount of things to say about the poem but not enough to truly do it justice but I figured it is better to talk about something rather than nothing. T.S Eliot in this poem is clearly channeling Ovid. He opens the poem by talking about midwinter spring and closes the poem by talking about how you always end up where you started in life. Well just the other day I wrote about Pythagoras and his philosophy of seasonal changes and a lifecycles. Midwinter spring is the season were a being has died and is born again. I found this really strange that two days after doing a blog about this I find myself doing another one. Another thing that I found to be a channel of Ovid was how he would always come back to talking about fire and water. I believe he tried to do this because fire and water in the metamorphoses represented part of the main components of the earth and life. For T.S Eliot though I feel he tired to talk about water as the beginning of life and fire as the end but in circulatory way. Where I came up with crazy notion was that he said that fire was the language of the dead. I know this isn’t much to go on but I have not read the poem enough to go on accurate assessments. Anyway I know this a very lazy interpretation of the poem but while I was writing this I started to feel more inclined to attack one of Jon Orsi’s blogs and blog about that. So I hope at least I put down accurately at least a couple of the metaphors

No comments: