Monday, April 30, 2007

A quote to live by Perhaps???

The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww! (Jack Kerouac).

This quote just popped into my head after long hours of trying to compile what I thought would be appropriate for a blog. I originally thought my final blog of the night was going to be about T.S Eliot’s poem “Little Gidding” I decided to save this particular blog for tomorrow and write about a quote that has had signifagent importance in my life. The book “On The Road” by Jack Kerouac changed my life and turned me on to literature, so I figured for at least one of my blogs I should talk about it. At the time I had first read “On The Road” I was in sort of a pitfall in my life. I had just been kicked out of my high school and was sent to a reformatory school in Connecticut. As you can imagine this didn’t really sit to well with a high school senior destined for the best year of his life. I was assigned to read this book for my English class; I instantly connected with the mad man life style Kerouac was talking about. Prior to my reform school days I had been on my own for the past 3 years of my life due to parenting circumstances. My life was literarily “On The Road”. I knew after reading “On The Road” that this crazy son of a bitch was my hero. Kerouac allowed me to come to terms with the fact that I am a madman destined for a life that was impractical and uncommon. Road life is meant for only a few and I know I certainly meet that mold. So what do I gain from reading this quote now. Christ! I know I am still a ranting lunatic but in a far more subtle and calmed downed way. I have read more and I have learned more than having “On The Road” as my single bible. I look at it now more as something that represents a certain time and place. Coming back to this quote it reminded me of my on going metamorphoses. I am quite different coming back to this quote. I know this book is not where I started in my life but watching it change proves to me that my life is changing. As a salute to one of my favorite books and something that meant the world to me two years ago I am ending this blog with a farewell.
I am tired as hell and can’t write anymore

No comments: