Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Finding Classics In Everything


As this semester comes to a close I just wanted to talk briefly about how after taking this course I am able to find examples of classical literature on almost a daily bases. From the Homeric Hymns to the Golden Ass the eternities blow in the wind everyday and everywhere I go. Walking down main street I see a joker playing a trick on his older brother, I see a mother nurturing her beautiful young daughter. I look to the gutter, I see the headline of some young 14 year old girl committing suicide in the name of true love, I walk into a bar to order a drink and what do I see a bunch of men arguing over what love really is. Over across the bar at that same moment there are women talking about how they are not going to sleep with their men until they stop being selfish pricks. Walking by cactus records there are about 15 teenybopper girls drooling over a poster of the hottest new rocker on the scene. This all happens almost in the first hour of walking through down town Bozeman one of the most far removed places from ancient Greece. I ask my self where is the Metamorphoses and where is the Golden Ass. I realize that I am the Metamorphoses of my self, coming to downtown Bozeman 6 months ago I would not have been able to spot any of these classical characteristics now they swim in my head with infinite questions of life. As for the Golden Ass, I started to think about what it truly meant to be a Golden Ass. Being a Golden Ass is just a period of time where you are ostracized and rejected from a community; having this happen to a person though helps gain new insight from just simply listening. Everyone at one time another has been a Golden Ass. Being an Ass is having the ability to learn and be a better person. So what I have profited from all this. In probably the most simplistic answer to this question Classical Foundation Of Literature has been one of most enjoyable classes I have ever taken. A more thoughtful answer would be the pleasure of learning about great literature. Finally my most thoughtful answer is the ability to recognize the eternities in more modern literature and even more importantly in everyday life. All of theses answers are answers I stand by regarding the course. I loved taking Classical Foundations Of Literature and have been recommending it to anyone that has the opportunity to take the course.

Note to Dr. Sexson
Thank you for a great semester. You are one of the most inspiring teachers and people I have ever had the privilege to meet. Thank you so much for time, company and passion for teaching

No comments: